1. Bennington College Young Writers Contest (grades 10-12)
This contest promotes excellence in writing at the high school level. Students can choose to write poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. Draft entry due to your teacher no later than Friday, October 18, 2019. Contest Deadline: October 31, 2019 http://www.bennington.edu/events/young-writers-awards
2. Earth Science Week 2019 Why Earth Science is For Everyone Essay Contest (grades 6-9) Topic: Not everyone has always felt welcome in the geosciences. Some have faced barriers to full participation. Why is this a problem? How can that problem be addressed? Write a brief essay discussing why it is important for Earth science – the study of the geosphere (earth), hydrosphere (water), atmosphere (air), and biosphere (life) – to be accessible, inclusive, diverse, and equitable. The essay must be no more than 300 words. Essays will be judged by a panel of geoscientists on grammar, content, presentation, creativity, and, most importantly, relevance to and incorporation of the topic. Draft entry due to your teacher no later than Monday, October 14, 2019 (Electronic Entry Contest Deadline: October 18, 2019) https://www.earthsciweek.org/contests/essay
3. Lowell Milken Center for Unsung Heroes (grades 4-12)
The Lowell Milken Center for Unsung Heroes Discovery Award provides students a unique opportunity to use their creative talents to research primary sources and develop outstanding projects that feature unsung Heroes who can serve as role models and inspire others to create change. Students can choose to do a documentary film or other multimedia project, performance, or create a website. Completed application must be submitted by February 15, 2020. Submissions are due July 1, 2020. https://www.lowellmilkencenter.org/competitions/discovery-award/rules
4. River of Words Poetry Contest (grades K-12)
Entry due to your teacher no later than Friday, November 15, 2019 (Contest Deadline: Must be postmarked or submitted electronically by December 1, 2020) https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/files/2020%20Student%20Entry%20Form%20Paper%2008.29.19.pdf
5. Scholastic Scope Write-a-Story Contest (grades 4-12)
Check out the link below for the most current monthly contests. There are several contests each month, and contests update monthly. https://scope.scholastic.com/pages/scope-contests.html
6. Scholastic StoryWorks Jr. Writing Contest (grades 4-6)
Topics change each month. Check here for the latest contest: https://storyworksjr.scholastic.com/pages/storyworksjr-contests.html
7. Stop the Hate Youth Speak Out Contest (grades 6-12)
Topic: In 500 words or less, think about your own life. Have you witnessed or experienced acts of injustice, racism, bigotry, or discrimination? How were you impacted by what you experienced, saw, or heard? What did you do, or what will you do, in response to these circumstances in order to create justice and positive change in your community?
Entry due to teacher no later than Friday, December 6, 2019 (Grade 6-10 Contest Deadline: January 8, 2020, Grades 11-12 Contest Deadline: January 20, 2020; Electronic submissions strongly encouraged)
I agree to prepare and submit an entry for the writing contest/competition indicated above. I realize that submission of at least one entry by the indicated school deadline* is required from all students. I understand that I may submit more than 1 entry.
__________________________ _________________________ ________
Student Name (Print First and Last Name) Student Signature Date
I understand the requirement described above for my child this year. (Please check one of the following)
____ I grant permission for my child’s entry to be submitted from the district to the identified contest/competition.
____ I DO NOT grant permission for my child’s entry to be submitted from the district to the identified contest/competition. I understand that the entry must still be submitted to the teacher by the identified school deadline, but will be returned to the student after review by the teacher. (This option will not impact the student’s grade.)
Parent/Guardian Signature Date